We started the framing of the first floor last weekend. It went relatively quickly, except for all the extra figuring with the vaulted ceilings. We got all the framing completed there and then moved on to the stairs.
It was interesting to get the wires from the house to the pole so that our house can be hooked up for service. It took about 250 ft. of large electric cable and a lot of horsepower to get the cables pulled through the pipe. The cable was slowly pulled through the pipe with a lot of pipe lube and the cable attached to a rope, which was then attached to the truck. Everything was hooked up on our end and inspected. Now we just have to wait until Dusquesne Light comes to hook it up to their system. Hopefully soon! It stinks to have to run everything off of a generator.
This past weekend we worked on framing the stairs, which took a bunch of figuring! None of the sets of plans we had were the same, so Mark had to figure out all the measurements, build the walls, and cut all the stringers. I have to say he did a really good job! Everything worked as he thought it would.
Now we are moving on to the 2nd floor framing of the boys’ bedrooms and bathrooms. This is also time-consuming because of the vaulted ceilings here, along with beams that will be installed later.
I realized that I didn’t take a photo of the stairs from the 1st floor, so I’ll have to do that.
It wasn’t too long into the afternoon yesterday when it began to storm. We could still keep working, but it is hard because the roofing is not on yet and it leaks like a sieve!
Hopefully the roof will be put on soon. We’re just waiting on special order drip-edge (my fault — I wanted galvanized like the gutters).
Our crew is supposed to return this week, so hopefully we can get the roof on the front porch and all the windows installed, along with the new roof on the tower.
I’m still waiting on the bid for the siding and gutters, so after the roof is on we’ll move to buttoning up the outside so we can get working on the interior finishes.
I’ve completed finishing one set of doors to the porch and have 1/2 of the front door completed (stained and finished). It takes a while since there are so many steps to getting them done. I’ll have to remember to snap a photo of them.
Progress hasn’t been as fast the past two weeks because Mark started a new job and he’s still learning the ropes and going to training. But I think that we still have done pretty well.
Thanks for checking in!