Progress 12/7/2016

As you can see, we’ve made some progress since the last time I posted. To us it seems things drag along, never going as fast as we’d like. We had hoped to be done by now, but that is not even close to happening! Shooting for early Spring now.

img_2253
All the exterior doors are installed and the chimneys have been framed in.
img_2255
Rear view with all the doors and windows installed. All those shavings are from the beams that had to be planed because of mold.
img_2349
All the siding waiting patiently to be installed.
img_2248
These are some of the colors/textures that will be on the outside/inside of the house. Includes cement siding from James Hardie (both here are painted BM Caliente {will be on the tower exterior} and Parrot Green {outside trim color}), the bark siding will be on the front top bump out & garage, and the weathered barn board will be on the walls in the tower, along with the pine beams.
img_2380
We got our 1000 gallon propane tank installed.
img_2411
Insulation work in progress, almost totally complete now.
img_2422
Starting to drywall the Master Bedroom – only partial because we are waiting to get an inspection.
img_2426
First layer of the shower pans are in. Next comes the rubber membrane and then another layer of cement/sand mix to have the correct slope to the drain.
img_2430
Current view into the Great Room.

 

img_2431
Foyer progress. Powder room in the room right next to the stairs.
img_2449
Electric panels. Lots going on here!
img_2450
Gas lines installed!
img_2444
We have heat! The first of two furnaces is installed and running on propane until we get the heat pumps installed and the vents in the roof.
img_2453
Decorative corbels stained for the exterior of the house.
img_2456
Window in the tower stained with a custom mix to look weathered and will hopefully match the barn board that will be installed on the walls. We built a platform about half-way up so that the beams, insulation and ceiling could be installed. Made it much easier, except for the part of getting up the stairs!
img_2463
View into Carrick’s room from the loft area. On the right will be where the 2nd furnace goes. He’s excited that he won’t have to be cold in the winter anymore or cook in the Summer.
img_2464
Insulation and the beams all installed in Cole’s bedroom ceiling.

Next on our agenda is

  • to finish up the shower pans
  • get the roof vents in (today)
  • get electric and plumbing inspected (hopefully this week)
  • work on drywall
  • get septic installed (next week)
  • get water run to the house (next week)
  • start tiling bathrooms and floors
  • about a million other things!

Thanks for checking in to see our progress. I’ll try to update more often as there will be more of the “finishes” going in.

 

Advertisements

Progress 7/25/2016

IMG_1745
Interior Framing, looking into Master Bedroom

We started the framing of the first floor last weekend. It went relatively quickly, except for all the extra figuring with the vaulted ceilings. We got all the framing completed there and then moved on to the stairs.

IMG_1746
Interior Framing – looking from Dining into Kitchen

 

IMG_1747
Interior Framing – Master Bedroom, closet and bath
IMG_1749
Electric Service, waiting for hookup

It was interesting to get the wires from the house to the pole so that our house can be hooked up for service. It took about 250 ft. of large electric cable and a lot of horsepower to get the cables pulled through the pipe. The cable was slowly pulled through the pipe with a lot of pipe lube and the cable attached to a rope, which was then attached to the truck. Everything was hooked up on our end and inspected. Now we just have to wait until Dusquesne Light comes to hook it up to their system. Hopefully soon! It stinks to have to run everything off of a generator.

This past weekend we worked on framing the stairs, which took a bunch of figuring! None of the sets of plans we had were the same, so Mark had to figure out all the measurements, build the walls, and cut all the stringers. I have to say he did a really good job! Everything worked as he thought it would.

IMG_1763
Second floor framing

Now we are moving on to the 2nd floor framing of the boys’ bedrooms and bathrooms. This is also time-consuming because of the vaulted ceilings here, along with beams that will be installed later.

IMG_1764
Stairway to second floor

I realized that I didn’t take a photo of the stairs from the 1st floor, so I’ll have to do that.

IMG_1770
Trying to keep the rain out during the storm

It wasn’t too long into the afternoon yesterday when it began to storm. We could still keep working, but it is hard because the roofing is not on yet and it leaks like a sieve!

Hopefully the roof will be put on soon. We’re just waiting on special order drip-edge (my fault — I wanted galvanized like the gutters).

IMG_1773
The valley during the rain storm
IMG_1774
2nd Floor framing of the boys’ bedrooms and baths

IMG_1775IMG_1776

Our crew is supposed to return this week, so hopefully we can get the roof on the front porch and all the windows installed, along with the new roof on the tower.

I’m still waiting on the bid for the siding and gutters, so after the roof is on we’ll move to buttoning up the outside so we can get working on the interior finishes.

I’ve completed finishing one set of doors to the porch and have 1/2 of the front door completed (stained and finished). It takes a while since there are so many steps to getting them done. I’ll have to remember to snap a photo of them.

Progress hasn’t been as fast the past two weeks because Mark started a new job and he’s still learning the ropes and going to training. But I think that we still have done pretty well.

Thanks for checking in!