For now, we’ll be finishing up the drywall on the second floor. That will take a little more figuring because Mark has to build little walls at the top of the big walls so that they touch the ceiling and we can attach the drywall.
Since the weather has been so nice, we even started working on the outside —installing some of the soffit and siding.
Most of the electrical work is done. We even have some switches and outlets so that we don’t have to run so many extension cords!
I will most likely start the tiling soon. I’ve ordered a lot of the tile and there is a lot to do!
Even though the weather has been really cold, we’ve gotten a lot done over Christmas break. A lot of drywall has gone in and most of the first floor is almost ready for taping and mudding. Thank goodness for heat. We keep it around 55 degrees most of the time.
I’m glad that it has been cold for a while, because when it warms up the driveway turns to very slippery, greasy mud. I think that we are in store for that again this week. Can’t have everything!
Next up is
Finishing cabinet construction. Pantry is almost done and Kitchen is partly done.
Finish drywall in the Master Bedroom and Foyer.
Start taping and mudding and sanding (I HATE this part).
Begin tile work.
Decide on tile for all the boys’ baths (that ought to be interesting).
Decide on flooring. This has been a real struggle for me.
Get the other heating system installed upstairs when our HVAC guy isn’t on Emergency Call! This weather has kept him busy, but we aren’t in a hurry.
Finish the wood staining in the Great Room (windows) and seal.
As you can see, we’ve made some progress since the last time I posted. To us it seems things drag along, never going as fast as we’d like. We had hoped to be done by now, but that is not even close to happening! Shooting for early Spring now.
Next on our agenda is
to finish up the shower pans
get the roof vents in (today)
get electric and plumbing inspected (hopefully this week)
work on drywall
get septic installed (next week)
get water run to the house (next week)
start tiling bathrooms and floors
about a million other things!
Thanks for checking in to see our progress. I’ll try to update more often as there will be more of the “finishes” going in.
OK, so it’s been two months since I updated! Things got hectic with back to school and everything that goes along with carting 3 boys around to all their events.
Steady progress has been made since the last time I checked in. The roof is on most of the house (with the exception of where the chimneys will go), all the doors are installed, the electric and plumbing are almost complete, large beams were installed in the Master Bedroom, and a whole bunch of other smaller jobs were completed. We are looking forward to our first inspection soon!
Here is the visual tour:
Next up on the schedule is getting the siding and soffit installed, insulation in the ceilings and partial basement walls, beams on the second floor ceiling, finishing up the HVAC so we can work in a warmer area since the weather has turned colder, painting the cabinet doors for the kitchen/pantry, installing the septic, gas and water, and about a thousand other things! I hope that the weather doesn’t turn too cold for a while.
We started the framing of the first floor last weekend. It went relatively quickly, except for all the extra figuring with the vaulted ceilings. We got all the framing completed there and then moved on to the stairs.
It was interesting to get the wires from the house to the pole so that our house can be hooked up for service. It took about 250 ft. of large electric cable and a lot of horsepower to get the cables pulled through the pipe. The cable was slowly pulled through the pipe with a lot of pipe lube and the cable attached to a rope, which was then attached to the truck. Everything was hooked up on our end and inspected. Now we just have to wait until Dusquesne Light comes to hook it up to their system. Hopefully soon! It stinks to have to run everything off of a generator.
This past weekend we worked on framing the stairs, which took a bunch of figuring! None of the sets of plans we had were the same, so Mark had to figure out all the measurements, build the walls, and cut all the stringers. I have to say he did a really good job! Everything worked as he thought it would.
Now we are moving on to the 2nd floor framing of the boys’ bedrooms and bathrooms. This is also time-consuming because of the vaulted ceilings here, along with beams that will be installed later.
I realized that I didn’t take a photo of the stairs from the 1st floor, so I’ll have to do that.
It wasn’t too long into the afternoon yesterday when it began to storm. We could still keep working, but it is hard because the roofing is not on yet and it leaks like a sieve!
Hopefully the roof will be put on soon. We’re just waiting on special order drip-edge (my fault — I wanted galvanized like the gutters).
Our crew is supposed to return this week, so hopefully we can get the roof on the front porch and all the windows installed, along with the new roof on the tower.
I’m still waiting on the bid for the siding and gutters, so after the roof is on we’ll move to buttoning up the outside so we can get working on the interior finishes.
I’ve completed finishing one set of doors to the porch and have 1/2 of the front door completed (stained and finished). It takes a while since there are so many steps to getting them done. I’ll have to remember to snap a photo of them.
Progress hasn’t been as fast the past two weeks because Mark started a new job and he’s still learning the ropes and going to training. But I think that we still have done pretty well.