At the beginning of January, we took a short time off to recuperate from past 2 years of construction and recharge our batteries in Kauai. It was so wonderful!
But back to work we must go! We installed some more barnwood at the top of the stairs. This isn’t as easy as it looks because most of the wood is twisted and not the same size throughout the entire plank. It takes a bit of work to fit it all together.
Next we have to finish designing any changes to the stairs and redo them with the reclaimed wood.
I got my art work installed above the bench in the mudroom. Now the rooms are starting to take on some personality!Countertops were installed in the Laundry/Pantry. They are Hi-Macs from LG in Ice Queen.
I wanted a hanging bar beside the dryer, so we installed simple black piping (that I removed the sticky finish from) and hung from the ceiling from the rafters.
Carrick hung my floating shelves for me from Ikea. I plan on storing all my baking items in the canning jars. I find these for cheap at places like Marshalls, HomeGoods and even Ace Hardware.
I also just installed the larger subway tile and the border. It just has to be grouted.
We actually got the shower completed in the Master Bath! This took me a LONG time to complete. It is a large shower and the mural was more work than I thought it would be.
I made the mural out of stones & glass from tiles that I had, found stones I collected from our vacations and small ceramic animals. The marbles in the mosaic I found in our current house when we were renovating! That is a Border Collie chasing a red marble “ball”.
I always wanted one of these rainshower heads. I found this one on eBay from the UK.
Here’s the shower niche. The back tiles were from Mercury Tile and are all handmade and fit in perfectly with the colors from the stone. It was an odd lot of seconds that I put together to fit.
In the kitchen, most of the work is done with the exception of the tile work around the fireplace and the back splash. The fireplace is installed, but logs still need to be inserted. The mantle is an antique I found a couple of years ago. The photo above the fireplace was my Christmas gift from my dad. It shows my great-aunt Gertrude harvesting waterlilies from a pond not far from our property!
These are the tile I’ve selected to use for the backslash in the kitchen. These two are from Lowes and will be going around the perimeter.
These are from the Tile Shop and will be centered over the stove.
The Great Room fireplace is also getting further along. Here it is with the scratch-coat.
From there we started installing the cast stone. This was after the first day.
Last night we completed up over the mantle. This is the same stone that will be installed on the exterior of the house. We are waiting for warmer weather to be able to complete that! Hopefully it will be soon as we’d like to move in soon! It’s just too hard and costly to keep two houses going.
Thanks for checking on our progress! Hopefully the weather will stay nice and we’ll have lots of progress to report!